Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Great harvest today!!

Sorry I've been out of touch for a few days...

I still owe you pictures from my berry picking!!

Today was an awesome harvest!!
I picked about 9 sweet banana peppers and another 1/2 pound of green beans - I'm probably up to 2 lbs of them!  I also picked a huge zucchini that I'm planning on making beer-battered zucchini and maybe zucchini cakes with!

I'm going to pickle the banana peppers, and try to find some good recipes for canning the green beans.  I also will be picking a bunch of cucumbers (hopefully enough to make into pickles or relish).   Also soon to pick: more zucchini, more bell and banana peppers, and HOPEFULLY tomatoes!!

Did I mention?!?! - I now have a watermelon and about 5 jack-o-lantern pumpkins growing!!! I'm hoping the pie pumpkins start coming in too for pumpkin preserves and pumpkin pies!!  The corn is continually getting higher and the squash planted with it is coming in pretty good too!!!  More pictures to come soon!

If anyone wants to try their hand at pickling/jamming/preserving, let me know - I would love to show you (and have someone here to help.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment