Search This Blog

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Freezing Green Beans/Recipe

So today, instead of trying to can green beans, I decided to freeze them.  I had about 1-2 lbs of fresh green beans in my fridge, with TONS more growing, so I figured I better do something with the ones I had before they went bad.

Freezing Green Beans is pretty easy.  Cut the green beans to the size of your choice, then, all you have to do is boil them for 3 minutes, then shock them in ice water for 3 minutes.  Then package them in ziplock bags.  (I tried to do it in portion sizes) and then throw them in the freezer.    When ready to use, just pull them out of the freezer, throw them in boiling water and prepare to recipe of your choice.

Today's harvest: 5 cucumbers, 1/2 lb of green beans, a few sugar snap peas, 1 zucchini, 2 Green Peppers and 1 tomato!!!



The chickens have doubled in size since yesterday...I swear!!  haha maybe not double, but definitely have gotten bigger since yesterday, hopefully we won't have to worry about them fitting through the crate anymore!

Tomorrow I'll be making zucchini-chocolate chip cookies, and probably fried zucchini!!  I'll be sure to post recipes!!

I think for the next party or cookout I go to this summer I'm going to use the below recipe for a green bean salad!

Green Bean Salad
courtesy of allrecipes.com (my favorite recipe site!!!)
Ingredients
1 lb green beans
1 (15 oz can) peas
1 (15 oz can) corn (maybe I'll have fresh corn I can use by then!!)
1 (4 ounce) jar pimentos
1 onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped (I have plenty of these)
dressing:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons water
Instructions:  
1. Combine vegetables in a large bowl. 
2. In a small bowl, mix together oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, and water. Pour over vegetables, and stir to coat. Refrigerate, covered, for 4 hours or overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment