Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2011

Sad news

So after a wonderful day with family and friends - and chickens (I actually had been picking them up and used to them), yesterday was the exact opposite.

I am sad to report that 5 of the 6 chickens have died.  A hawk got into their pen and stomped on them.  I saw some of it happen....I tried to run out there and scare the hawk away, but I could only get so far and then my fear of birds (not of chickens anymore) kicked in and I panicked.  It did end up leaving but not before 5 of the birds had died.  The 6th survived because it was underneath some of the others and she is doing ok - she still needs some warm thoughts, and attention because she is kind of still in shock.

Jeff is adamant that we're getting more chicks as soon as tonight.  They survive better in groups and our lonely chicken needs some new friends.  I'm not sure if I can handle something like this happening again, but I guess it's nature, it happens, and we move on.

That's all I can report for now - I'm sorry it was all sad news.  I'll keep you posted in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment