Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Produce Update

This weekend I made BBQ sauce from scratch - no, not from ketchup, but from Tomatoes from the garden!!  I just need to can it, but I think it tastes pretty good.

Charred Pepper BBQ Sauce
courtesy of: Put 'em Up

Ingredients:
1 lb chili peppers, grilled, with skins peeled and seeded
5 lbs tomatoes, peeled and cored
1 pound yellow onions, chopped
2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBS ground allspice
1 TBS salt
1 tsp ground cloves

Instructions:
1.) Roughly chop Tomatoes and Peppers.
2.) Combine the chilies, tomatoes, onions, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, allspice, salt and cloves in a large reactive saucepan.  Cover and bring to a boil.
3.) Remove the cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, until sauce is thickened.
4.) Puree with a stick blender.
Refrigerate: - Ladle into bowls or jars.  Cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
Can - leave 1/4 inch of headspace, process for 20 minutes.  Store for up to 1 year.

I have other tomatoes peeled, cored and ready to go for three items - ketchup, homemade tomato sauce, and homemade hot sauce.  I will have a lot more, so I think I'm going to make some sun-dried tomatoes and a Green Tomato Chutney.

I'm also planning on making some dill pickles - then I may be caught up a little bit on produce usage.  I also froze about 2 more pounds of green beans.  I still have tons more growing so I plan on canning some dill green beans.

I still have 3 zucchini to use - I'm thinking zucchini chocolate chip cookies and zucchini bread.  Also, some yellow squash.

See below for some recent harvests, and other items growing!!


oh yeah...and Oscar and a chicken!!

Part of the garden and Jeff's Kayaks

One of the watermelons...now it is double this size!

Harvest from a week ago
Banana Peppers


Bread and Butter Pickles

Part of the Tomato Harvest

The corn section

One of the jack-o-lantern pumpkins

Heirloom Tomato

Cucumbers!
Every veggie on these platters is courtesy our mini farm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment